Home Improvement Ideas & Tips | HGTV
Make home improvements by remodeling a room or just painting a wall with HGTV’s home improvement ideas, pictures, and videos.
Maintaining the air conditioning unit is very important because the unit’s damage can give costly expenses to the owners. Specifically, cleaning the filters, fins, and coils will contribute to the efficiency of the entire system. If home owners will ignore the essential air conditioning maintenance, there will always be a malfunctioning unit which consumes high energy.
Through having a closer look on each component, no problem will bother the owners. There are various ways on how to ensure a well-operating air conditioning unit.
- Filters-these a/c components are subject to dust, dirt, and pet hair. Cleaning or replacing them will guarantee the good condition of the air conditioning unit.
Filters can be found on the a/c unit itself, ceilings, walls, and furnaces. Some filters can be reused while the other types need to be replaced.
Cleaning the filters once a month or every cool season will lessen the possibility of a malfunctioning unit. The clogged and dirty filters may prevent the normal airflow which will lead to a declining system operation. If the normal airflow is blocked, filters can carry the dirt into the other areas within the unit. As a result, the coil won’t be able to absorb heat properly.
If there is a great need to replace the filters, one must do so. For the succeeding days, home owners will have lower energy consumption for about 5-15 % through good air conditioning maintenance.
- Coils- after several months of using the air conditioner, the evaporator and condensing coils gather dirt. Having a clean filter will avoid a soiling evaporator coil. However, there are still chances that the coil will continue to gather the dirt around. The absorption of heat is greatly affected when the dirt stick on the evaporator.
- The problem with this particular a/c part can be resolved through constantly monitoring its condition. If one observes that it needs the cleaning task, he must not hesitate. There might be worse conditions that may arise. Air conditioning maintenance must be considered.
- The outdoor condenser coils can accumulate dirt, especially if the area is dusty. Moreover, when the children are having the so called “general cleaning” inside the house, the dirt and dust can reach the air conditioner.
- Condenser coils are easily seen so one can know the extreme need for air conditioning maintenance. The falling leaves, dryer vents, and a lawn mower are the possible sources of debris and dirt.
- Coil fins- the fins on the condenser and evaporator coils can be easily bent. They can also block the normal airflow. One can purchase a fin comb to bring back the appropriate position of the fins.
- Condensate drains- there might be a lesser humidity when the drain channels are clogged. A person can use a stiff wire for the drain channels.
- Window seals- one must check the designated position of the seal between an air conditioner and window frame. They must touch the metal case of the a/c unit. If moisture caused damage on the seal, the cold air will escape from one’s home.